The ConScience App (Dutch version: Gewetenschap)
Het Acteursgenootschap presents ‘The ConScience App’, a theatre piece designed to move the debate on scientific integrity from news headlines to daily work of academic researchers. The play was created on the basis of a number of confidential interviews with the members of The Young Academy of the KNAW’s (De Jonge Akademie).
‘The ConScience App’ is a light-hearted satire and a starting point for debate about dilemmas and experiences with your colleagues. For instance, what is your policy on mentioning co-authors? Or on assessing the work of your competitors? How do you find a balance between your own work and the supervision of your Master’s students? What is the influence of the duty to publish on the quality of your research?
Promising academic Jeroen Dreef is undertaking pioneering research at a Dutch university. With a disappointing PhD candidate and dito research data, and a professor breathing down his neck, he is in a race against the clock to beat his international competitors and to ensure his position at the university is safe.
Duration: play (40 minutes), discussion (30-60 minutes)
Writer and director: Tony Maples (Pandemonia Science Theater)
Actors: Loek van den Wijngaard, Elske Rollema and Suzanne Spliethoff
Technique: Olaf Paulisse
Contact: info [at] hetacteursgenootschap.nl
An instruction manual for the discussion is available
- March 29th 2018 – School of Business and Economics (SBE) – Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- February 28th 2018 – Annual Conference – The Norwegian National Committees for Research Ethics, Oslo
- December 12th 2017 – International seminar on Research Integrity – Maison de la Chimi, Paris
- December 7th 2017 – Week on science integrity – Erasmus MC, Rotterdam
- October 4th 2017 – Open debate on common dilemma’s for scientists – Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), Rotterdam
- September 19th 2017 – Research Ethics Forum – Opera House, Oslo
- May 28th 2017 – 5th World Conference on Research Integrity – VU medical Center, Amsterdam
- September 7th 2016 – Research integrity for master students – Faculty of Humanities, Utrecht University
- June 15th 2016 – Integrity for doctoral students – Faculty of Science, Radboud University Nijmegen
- December 16th 2015 – Ethos of Science – Radboud Honours Academy, Radboud University Nijmegen